Paiya Fish Curry
Diwali is around the corner. I miss the sweets and special fish dishes mom cooked for us around the festival holidays. Sumi and I don’t do anything special. But we try to have a different type of fish during these days which we would not have regularly. This is because fish is considered lucky and auspicious. We bought Paiya fish yesterday. I had it once before at a friend’s place and it tasted great. We didn’t want to wait till Tuesday to have it. Sumi wanted a gravy-like preparation so she went to work and created this delicious dish.
The dish will taste great with rice. That is how we would have had during our regular days. But since we are on our low-carb diet, we had just the fish but just for the kick of it, added a dose of fresh mozzarella cheese. It tasted yummy.
- Paiya Fish - 4 (cleaned)
- Lemon - Half
- Onion (Small finely chopped) - 1
- Nigella seeds - 1⁄2 tsp
- Red chillies (broken down) - 2-3
- Garlic cloves smashed - 3-4
- Red chilly powder - 1 tsp (add more if you wish)
- Turmeric powder - 1⁄2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1⁄2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1⁄2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard oil - To fry fish and prepare
- Add lemon, some turmeric powder, salt to fish and marinate for 1⁄2 hr in refrigerator.
- Add some mustard oil in a wok and heat it till it starts smoking. Take it out and let it cool for a while. Now add the fishes and start frying them on each side for 4-5 min. Don’t overcook the fish. Once the fish is fried, take it out.
- Take fresh oil again and heat it and add chopped onion, nigella seeds, red chillies, cumin and coriander powder, smashed garlic, chilli powder and sauté a while for 2-3 min in low to medium flame. Once the onion turns golden brown, add the fishes back to it and add 100 ml of water and cook on low flame for another 5 min till the gravy thickens. Garnish it with coriander and 1 tsp of raw mustard oil.
- This will taste good with warm rice. We had it with mozzarella cheese.